Monday, June 18, 2007

No parking on the dance floor

Last weekend my husband and I attended our high school class reunion. The party was held at a lodge overlooking the lake where The Boys Next Door is set, in sight of the bridge that figures prominently in the book. I took this as a good omen that the book will do well when it's released a week from tomorrow (it's already in stock at the online bookstores).

I channeled my inner Lori, the heroine of the book, by being a dork and dancing the night away to 80's music though I can't dance. If you're not going to do the robot to "Freakazoid" at your high school reunion, when are you going to do it?

I also caught up with my classmates. Like Adam in the book, so many of them were smart and talented even though the school said they weren't. It was wonderful to find out how successful they've been, outshining any prediction of the standardized tests. The older I get, the more I realize there are lots of definitions of "success" and lots of ways to be happy.

No comments: